Monday, March 21, 2011

Happy World Poetry Day

"Poetry contributes to creative diversity, by questioning anew our use of words and things, our modes of perception and understanding of the world. Through its associations, its metaphors and its own grammar, poetic language is thus conceivably another facet of the dialogue among cultures. Diversity in dialogue, free flow of ideas by word, creativity and innovation. World Poetry Day is an invitation to reflect on the power of language and the full development of each person’s creative abilities."

from UNESCO


I am the girl who eats the cake

I am the girl who eats the cake

And leaves the icing

Behind


Too sweet for me, I prefer instead

The richness

The chewiness

The sharp, leavening contrast

Of life


Keep your eye candy roses

They dissolve too quick on the tongue

Leaving me

Empty


(me)


Happy World Poetry Day! Do you have a favorite poem or poet? Do you write poetry? Share and/or leave a link in the comments below.



6 comments :

  1. That's great! (I am the girl who has always eaten the icing/ And felt too full and sick/ Afterwards.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, poetic comment,in the true spirit of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not write poetry as I am not any good at it. But it's been a while, maybe I should try again?

    But my World Poetry Day blog post is up. All about Edna St. Vincent Millay: http://femalebookreader.blogspot.com/2011/03/world-poetry-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not being good at it didn't stop me (but fun to try anyway - if you can't write poetry on your own blog, where can you write it;D ) If you try some let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful poem! Thank you for sharing. :) Have you ever given thought to reviewing a volume of poetry, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Novelniche, you are far too kind. You know, reviewing poetry- that is a wonderful idea! Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting - thoughts welcome.