Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Lantern- Deborah Lawrenson














The Lantern, Deborah Lawrenson, HarperCollins, 2011


Spirits, secrets, and suspense pervade Deborah Lawrenson’s enchanting new novel The Lantern...  an homage to Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca entwined with a compelling ghost story, set in the beauty of Provence - it was satisfyingly hard to put down. You can read the rest of my review of The Lantern over on The Best Damn Creative Writing Blog.


My thanks to the publisher for a complimentary copy of the Advance Reader's Edition. All opinions expressed are my own.



8 comments :

  1. I had wondered about that...just assumed I was going crazy. Do you recommend a good ghost story for summer reading? Somehow I'm looking out at the sweltering heat and having trouble picturing ghosts would like it any more than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaye- I highly recommend this one, The Lantern - it was wonderful! (Some other supernatural favorites include Kate Mosse's Sepulchre, and also her Labyrinth, Audrey Niffeneger's Her Fearful Symmetry, and Carol Goodman's books)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this kind of book. Thanks for passing this along. I'm off to check out the full review!

    -Miss GOP
    www.thewritingapprentice.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I'm reading this later this month (or Aug, I forget). I'll hop over to see your review since you say it was wonderful -- this makes me v happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss GOP and Audra- thanks so much for the kind comments, hope you love the book, too! Audra, will look forward to reading your review soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely cover. I want to pick it up and flip through it. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read and loved your review of this one!
    The author has also been compared to Kate Morton, who is one of my favorites. I ordered this book a few days ago. So I am glad to see a positive review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, Misha- I hope you enjoy it, - look forward to hearing what you think. I will have to check out Kate Morton's books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting - thoughts welcome.