Saturday, September 17, 2011

Calling Mr. King, The Karaoke Singer's Guide to Self Defense

Aren't these gorgeous? these covers may be two of my recent favorites.... the fonts and designs take me back in time... The Karaoke Singer's Guide's cover has been aged in such a way that you practically expect to feel that dry burn of paper dust in the back of your throat. They're both good reads, too - was privileged to review them both recently for LitStack.



Calling Mr. King, Ronald DeFeo, Other Press, 2011


Nothing like job burnout, especially when you’re a professional hit man. One day you’re cool as a cucumber, taking out your mark with expert precision and an air of nonchalance; the next, your timing seems off, you botch a job, and you start wishing your goon bosses would stop calling and leave you alone so you could enjoy a little architecture in peace and quiet… just like anybody else… right?



Calling Mr. King, a debut novel from writer Ronald DeFeo, explores the inner life of a paid assassin, the best of the best, code name “Mr.King.”  Mr. King has long left behind his violent, abusive father and his childhood hometown in upstate New York to work for a network of criminals. He now finds himself a man of the world, traveling to exotic locales, considering himself more Brit than American, and killing for hire..... read more of my review of Calling Mr. King over on LitStack.



The Karaoke Singer's Guide to Self Defense, Tim Kinsella, featherproof books, 2011
Absolutely loved this one....if it is a measure of anything, by the time I finished the book, my copy was more dog-eared than just about any other book I own, and when it ended, I felt bittersweetly bereft. I thought The Karaoke Singer’s Guide to Self-Defense was a brilliant read, highly recommended for readers who like a little nostalgia in a smart, dark, funny, and engrossing novel....read more of my review of The Karaoke Singer's Guide to Self-Defense over on LitStack


Many thanks to the Other Press and featherproof books for complimentary copies of these books. All opinions expressed are my own. I am (in theory, very modestly) compensated by LitStack editors for my reviews.

8 comments :

  1. Calling Mr. King sounds like a very interesting book. Hope it's as funny and interesting as it sounds.

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very funny premise, and at times the story is quite funny, though in a dark kind of way. Was overall very interesting (a few stretches of wanting to nudge Mr. King along) and was glad to have read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (hit enter too fast) Is it in your TBR? Would love to know what you think if you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. Calling Mr. King, seems very likeable. An assassin botching jobs. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lena. It's a great premise for a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi stopping by. I'm liking Mr. King so I'm going to mosie on over and check out the full review.
    http://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sidne, so great to see you. How are things? popping over for a visit. Thanks, hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are both new-to-me books and I like the sound of The Karaoke Singer’s Guide to Self-Defense. I'm going off to check your review now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting - thoughts welcome.