Saturday, November 12, 2011

Three Good Things +1

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Today's post is a bit of a mash-up: Three Good Things meets Story Sundays... +1 more, just because.

A few short stories from around the web I've recently enjoyed:

  • "A Simple Task" by Michelle Bailat-Jones (Atticus Review, September 2011) a forty-something woman's journey to scatter her mother's ashes is not quite so simple in this poignant story.


  • This tiny, fantastical flash fiction "Revenge of the Goldfish" from Kristine Ong Muslim (The Brooklyner, September 2011, after art by Sandy Skoglund). Thanks to the author for bringing this wonderful piece to my attention - I'm looking forward to reading more of Muslim's work in her forthcoming book of art-inspired mini-stories We Bury the Landscape, due out this Spring.


  • More loveliness from J.A. Pak, also at Atticus Review (August, 2011): her recent short story, "Fantasm."  J.A. always captures the magical, delicate, and romantic in her writing, and I always look forward to her stories. This one has almost a dream-like quality, taking us from scene to scene, with some lovely images throughout. J.A. was a guest here on the blog earlier this year, talking about writing, food, music and more.


+1 - this phenomenal trailer for Moby Dick in Pictures: One Drawing for Every Page (art by Matt Kish, forthcoming from Tin House). I'm not much for book trailers, but this is exquisite, and I am dying to see the actual book. I know I posted this on Facebook already, but if you didn't watch it, just do. I will stop bothering you about it. Probably.




What were your "good things" this week? Share in the comments!


* * *

Story Sundays is a weekly meme created by Ellen at Fat Books, Thin Women and also celebrated at Novelniche: A Place for Books. Be sure to check out their blogs for wonderful Story Sunday selections and other excellent reviews!


11 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for mentioning "Fantasm"! Always wonderful to be included here, along with such amazing stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so welcome, always a delight to have you here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this format! I am looking forward to Kristine Ong Muslim's book too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Aths- it sounds intriguing, doesn't it? - look forward to hearing what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is definitely a book trailer worth watching! And I'm with you, they rarely are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Moby Dick in Pictures trailer looks amazing. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lisa and Claudine- isn't it incredible? so glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read many short stories but I think I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Short stories are the best... and addictive :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - thank you for mentioning my story, I really appreciate it. And in such good company, too. And now I will have fun exploring your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Michelle, very much enjoyed your story! looking forward to reading more :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting - thoughts welcome.