Saturday, October 27, 2012

More Curiosities from the Backlist - Eight Months on Ghazzah Street, Hilary Mantel



Hilary Mantel, author of Man Booker Prize-winning Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies is one of those authors who's been my "must get to" list for ages, and after reading this fascinating profile of her in a recent issue of The New Yorker, I knew I must get right on it. But despite all the rave reviews, I wasn't drawn to her more renowned titles (or the subject of Thomas Cromwell), and while browsing her books at the library, found myself leaving instead with an earlier novel, the tense, suspenseful Eight Months on Ghazzah Street (Henry Holt, 1988).

In it, Frances Shore follows her husband on assignment to Saudi Arabia. The woman and the place could not be more ill-suited for one another: Frances is an independent-minded, professional woman, and her experience of Saudi Arabian Muslim culture is one of utter confinement. As a trailing spouse, she has left her own livelihood behind; as a woman in the Saudi kingdom, everything from her clothing to the ability to move about freely are regulated; as a foreigner, her actions are subject to constant scrutiny and disapproval. Moreover, she and her fellow expats are at the mercy of the government's every whim. Add the secretive nature of government authority to this mix, and suddenly truth and lies become maddeningly indistinguishable. Frances bristles and chafes under this restrictive environment, at first slipping into withdrawal and depression. But she cannot fight her curiosity about the mysterious goings-on in the upstairs apartment, and as she begins to ask questions, she becomes entangled in a mystery whose dangers she cannot fully comprehend.

I loved how Mantel steadily built a suspenseful plot from the friction between British and Saudi culture, and between gender and culture, as well as the way she portrayed the nuances of Frances' increasing frustration and its accompanying up-and-down emotions. She struck me as a realistic character with a realistic experience, though one that's gone horribly awry. Her character really resonated - I have been a trailing spouse (many times over), and an expatriate (albeit in a very different place than Saudi Arabia). While I've been lucky to have very positive experiences in all the places I've lived, there was much Mantel describes that is universal about the experience of acculturation to any new place, and especially a foreign one. Eight Months on Ghazzah Street is a dark story, and Frances not at all a sunny personality, so if you are looking for a bright, uplifting read, this won't be it for you. It's a captivating read for the right mood - The New Yorker's description of it as "gothic" is quite on target, and I was definitely reminded of Daphne DuMaurier - which put it right up my alley.

Are you a Hilary Mantel fan, or are you planning to read her work? Weigh in! And happy reading!



14 comments :

  1. I have to admit to not enjoying Wolf Hall or Bring Up The Bodies. I thought Mantel was just not for me, but the plot of this one sounds more like something I would like. Maybe I will give her one more try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think it was her style, or the subject matter that turned you off? So many people loved them, though something about the subject doesn't appeal to me much. This one was based on her own experience as an expat in Saudi Arabia, which definitely added to the draw for me.

      Delete
    2. Honestly, a bit of both. I thought her style was too descriptive and the pace too slow in Wolf Hall, but I did like the style of Bring Up The Bodies more. I didn't realise she has been an expat in Saudi Arabia, that makes me want to read this one more too.

      Delete
    3. Very interesting - if you read it, would be curious to know how you think it compares. The New Yorker profile was so fascinating and talks about how her experience there inspired the novel... she's had an unusual and in many ways difficult life, and her personality sounds quite unique (as I suppose is true for many writers :D).

      Delete
  2. A new one for me. I did not enjoy Wolf Hall at all though I am looking forward to Bring Up The Bodies. Will be adding this to the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious to know how it compares to Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies. Hope you enjoy it, and looking forward to hearing what you think!

      Delete
  3. I'm rather ignorant and didn't know she'd written before Wolf Hall. That said I like the idea of reading something by her that isn't Tudor (and that despite the fact I love Tudor history - the politics doesn't interest me so much in fiction) so I'll have to note it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know much about her either, so for me the New Yorker profile was really fascinating and well worth a read if you've read/plan to read any of her work. She had a number of books before Wolf Hall, as it turns out.

      Delete
  4. Ooooh, sounds promising! I'll keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like it! would love to hear what you think if you get to it.

      Delete
  5. As a writer I'm used to our odd appearances, but that picture of her the New Yorker was other-worldly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fitting perhaps, given some of the supernatural encounters she seems to have had :D Very interesting profile.

      Delete
  6. If Hilary Mantel wrote it, I will read it. That's how much I like Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies. Seriously brilliant books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might have to check them out - definitely more interested in trying them now, and curious how they compare.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting - thoughts welcome.