Saturday, November 10, 2012

To Read is to Call the Lost Forward



I recently picked up Gregory Maguire's Out of Oz (William Morrow, 2011), the last in the bestselling Wicked series. I'd enjoyed, to varying extents, the first three novels and was curious to see how they might come to a close. I'll have to confess this wasn't my favorite of the four - it was a bit longer and slower than suited my mood, though I rather liked the new protagonist, Rain, grandchild of Elphaba and daughter of Liir.

What I found truly beautiful, though, was this bit from the coda, the closing afterwords of the novel. It resonates deeply with my literary and spiritual worldview, and felt compelled to share:
Watching the world wake up, dress itself in the dark, take on its daily guise, reminds me of how we fathom human character when we encounter someone at a distance, at a gallop, in the shadows. We get no more than a quick glance at the man on the street, the child in the woods, the witch at the well, the Lion among us. Our initial impression, most often, has to serve. 
Still, that first crude glimpse...is often all we get before we must choose whether to lean forward or to avert our eyes. Slim evidence indeed, but put together with mere hints and echoes of what we have once read, we risk cherishing one another. Light will blind us in time, but what we learn in the dark can see us through. 
To read, even in the half-dark, is also to call the lost forward.

In what ways does reading inform the way we look at others and the world? To imagine the stories behind the faces we see? I suspect they are too many to count.

Happy reading and cherishing.


13 comments :

  1. I like "what we learn in the dark can see us through." nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes even a slim glimpse is life affecting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, very much so, especially when it gets the curiosity going.

      Delete
  3. That is a wonderful passage. Hmm. I didn't read past the first novel (tried but couldn't get into the others and the first one crushed me). But maybe it's time to pick it up again.

    So how does reading inform the way we see the world? Well for me, if a book resonates with me on a deep level, I carry it with me as I move throughout my day. I see thorough the lens of it, as I meet people, hear things, do chores, make art - whatever. This is obviously not always a good thing - ha! But reading something affecting does encourage us to "call the lost forward" by encourages us to think differently, from a different perspective, than we might be accustomed to.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully, put, Xe, especially love your thought about seeing through a different lens. There was a great article recently (will have to find) about reading leading to deeper sympathy and I do truly believe that it opens us to more complex understanding of the world.

      I don't know if you really *need* to read the rest of the series unless you're esp. inspired (I do remember liking the 3rd one a lot, but can no longer tell you much about it, the gap has been too long!)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful writing, and a good question. I like what J A Pak's said; even the shortest of encounters or not so can effect us. I think reading can alter our mood which in turn will change the way we relate to others whilst reading the book, especially if something similar has happened/is happening in the real world that does in the book. But the way it teaches us about others can help us relate more, such as different cultures or what have you. I hadn't thought about the idea that it makes us think about the stories of others, but maybe it does, opening us to the same things writers find - stories in the everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely, Charlie. Yes, very interesting point about reading impacting one's mood, hadn't thought of that specifically but I think this is very true!

      Delete
  5. "To call the lost forward."

    That's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quote -- I tried to read the first book and enjoyed what I did read -- but put it down and never picked it back up. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audra. I wouldn't consider them essential reads, but I've mostly enjoyed them especially for the different way he encourages us to look at that iconic story & its characters.

      Delete
  7. I didn't even know this was a series!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting - thoughts welcome.